عنوان مقاله [English]
One of the main goals of monetary policy is price stability, and in this framework is one of the most successful approaches introduced in recent decades of inflation targeting. In this paper, factors influencing inflation targeting such as central bank independence and transparency, inflation uncertainty, Minimum nominal wages, monetary base, and exchange rate in Iran for the time period of 1978-2017 were investigated. First, we calculated the Central Bank independence by using the Principal Component Analysis (PCA) and then, we investigated the factors affecting inflation target. The results showed that central bank independence and transparency and commitment to accountability had a negative and significant effect on the inflation gap from the target inflation. Minimum nominal wages, monetary base, exchange rate, the uncertainty of inflation have a positive effect on the inflation gap of the target inflation. Therefore, in order to achieve the inflation target, the preconditions for the adoption of this monetary policy should be provided. Furthermore, since the exchange rate is one of the variables that influence the inflation rate and has a major impact on the inflation rate of the country, so having a trading and exchange rate policy can have many results on achieving inflation goals.
- Aizanman, J, Hutchison, M, & Noy, I. (2010). Inflation targeting and real exchange rates in emerging markets, Journal of World Development 39(5), 712–724.
- Arman, S A; Ghorbannezhad, M & Vafili, V. (2017). Take a look at inflation in Iran, Varx approach. Quarterly Journal of Applied Economics Studies in Iran, No, 22, 99-121. [In Persian]
- Balounezhad, R. (2004). Inflation Targeting in Iran’s Second Development Program: An Application of Optimal Control Theory, MA Thesis, Mazandaran University. [In Persian]
- Bernanke, B, S, Laubach, T, Mishkin, F, S, & Posen, A, S. (1999). Inflation Targeting, Lessons from the International Experience, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 69-85.
- Blanchard, O. J. (1986). The wage price spiral. The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 101(3), 543-565.
- Brito, R D, & Bystedt, B. (2010). Inflation targeting in emerging economies, Panel evidence, Journal of Development Economics, 91(2), 198–210.
- Brito, S., Carriere-Swallow, M. Y., & Gruss, B. (2018). Disagreement about Future Inflation: Understanding the Benefits of Inflation Targeting and Transparency. International Monetary Fund.
- Canarella, G., & Miller, S. M. (2017). Inflation targeting and inflation persistence: New evidence from fractional integration and cointegration. Journal of Economics and Business, 92, 45-62.
- Christensen, A, M, Hansen, N, L. (2005). The monetary policy regime and the development in central macroeconomic variables in the OECD countries 1970-2003, Danmarks National BankWorking Papers No, 31
- Chow, G, C. (1975). Anlysis and control of dynamic economic system, John Wiley, Sons, New York, 163-166.
- Corbo, V, Landerretche, O, Schmidt-Hebbel, K. (2001). Assessing inflation targeting after a decade of world experience, International Journal of Finance and Economics, 6(4), 343–368.
- Creel, J, and P, Hubert. (2010). Has inflation targeting changed the conduct of monetary policy? Macroeconomic Dynamics, FirstView, 1-–21.
- Cukierman, A, & Webb, S, B. (1992). Political Influence on the Central Bank, International Evidence, the World Bank Economic Review, 9, 327-423
- Dargahi, H., & Atashk, A. (2002). Inflation Targeting in Iran: Conditions and Policy Tools. Journal of Economic Research (Tahghighat-E-Eghtesadi), 37 (1), 119-147. [In Persian]
- Debelle, Guy. (2001). The Case for Inflation Targeting in East Asian Countries, paper prepared for the Reserve Bank of Australia Conference on Future Directions in Monetary Policy in Ease Asia (July), 18-21.
- Dumiter, F, C. (2009). Measuring Central Bank Independence and Inflation Targeting in Developed and Developing Countries. Timisoara Journal of Economics, 2(6), 83 – 100, Economic Policy,13, 341-392.
- Eichengreen, B. (2002). Can emerging markets float? Should they inflation target? Brazilian Central Bank Working Paper 36.
- Farzinvash, A., & Asgharpur, H. (2007). The Asymmetric Effect of Exchange rate on Output and Prices in Iran, Journal of Economic Sciences, 1, 139-164. [In Persian]
- Fischer, Stanley. (1994). the Role of Macroeconomic Factors in Growth, NBER Working Paper, 4565.
- -Frederic S, Mishkin. (2000). Inflaion Targeting in Emerging Market Countries, Working Paper 7618.
- Green, J. H. (1996). Inflation targeting: Theory and policy implications. Staff Papers, 43(4), 779-795.
- Grilli, V., Masciandaro, D., & Tabellini, G. (1991). Political and monetary institutions and public financial policies in the industrial countries. Economic policy, 6(13), 341-392.
- Jafari samimi, A, Balounejad Nouri, & Tehranchian, A M. (2016). An Investigation of the Impact of Oil Revenue Shocks on Output and Inflation under Conditions of Price and Wage Stickiness. Quarterly Energy Economics, 12(48), 1-32, [In Persian]
- Leiderman, L., & Svensson, L. E. O. (1995). Inflation targets (Centre for Economic Policy Research, London).
- Mehrotra, A., & Yetman, J. (2018). Are inflation targets credible? A novel test. Economics Letters, 167, 67-70.
- Mishkin, F. S., & Schmidt-Hebbel, K. (2001). One decade of inflation targeting in the world: What do we know and what do we need to know? (No. w8397). National bureau of economic research.
- Mishkin, F, S, & Schmidt, Hebbel, K. (2004). One decade of inflation targeting in the world, what do we know and what do we need to know? In N, Loayza, R, Soto (Eds), Inflation targeting, Design, performance, challenges, Santiago, Chile, Central Bank of Chile, Working Paper 5617.
- Mishkin, FS, & MA, Savastano. (2000). Monetary Policy Strategies for Latin America, NBER Working Paper No 7617.
- Mousavi, H, & Mosta’ani, Z. (2012). Inflation Targeting, An Application of Optimal Control Theory, Quarterly Journal of Economical Modeling, 31, 41-58. [In Persian]
- Paul Beaudry. (2017). Canadian inflation targeting. Canadian Journal of Economics, 1556-1572.
- Steve Kayizzi, Mugerwa (Chair), Anyanwu, John C, Faye, Issa. (2015). Inflation Targeting Monetary Policy, Inflation Volatility and Economic Growth in South Africa, Working Paper, 216, January 2015.
- Omid, M, Ardakani, A, Kishor, N & Suyong Song, S. (2018). Re-evaluating the Effectiveness of Infation Targeting, Journal of Economic Dynamics & Control, 90, 76-97.
- Romer, D. (2006). Advanced Macroeconomics (Taghavi, M. Trans.), Tehran, Iran: Islamic Azad University, Science and Research Branch Publication. [In Persian]
- Sargent, T, & N, Wallace. (1981). Some Unpleasant Monetarist Arithmetic, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis quarterly review, fall 1981.
- Svensson, L, E, O. (1997). Inflation forecast targeting: Implementing and monitoring inflation targets, Journal of European Economic Review, 41(6), 1111 -1146.
- Woodford, M. (2005). Imperfect Common Knowledge and the Effects of Monetary Policy, In Knowledge, Information and Expectations in Modern Macroeconomics, In Honor of Edmund S, NBER Working Paper No, 8673.